Friday, June 26, 2009

Fiber Arts Friday

Wow-I spent an awful lot of time washing, rinsing, and drying wool this past weekend-but boy was it worth it. Luckily it cleaned up really well, and drying was pretty quick on the lawn chair. I got that idea from someone else that contributes to the Fiber Art Fridays group-(I'm sorry I don't remember who it was). But, it worked great-especially when the rain came half way through the project. I was able to drag the whole works into the house through the patio door in one fell swoop, and then back out on the deck again the next morning. So now I have two big bins full of wonderful wool. I dyed some pink with tropical punch Kool Aid. I tried blue with easter egg dye-it didn't take so I added green and got a pale shade of green. I then used some berry blue Kool Aid and that worked for a pastel shade of blue.

I found a you tube video of someone using a home made hackle for combing the wool. They used plastic hair picks drilled to a piece of wood. Well, I didn't attatch them to anything, but I used that idea to comb some of the VM out of my wool--it works pretty good. Just using two and combing back and forth between them really pulled out a lot of dirt--I still have to pick out some-but it moved things along much better. The first project I hope to get done are the baby hats I need to make for "payment" for the wool. My knitting isn't the greatest-but I'll give it my best.


  1. How exciting! Looking forward to seeing you final project. Do you have a pattern for the baby hats?

  2. I'd love to try this some day. Nice colors.

  3. ah...

    the industrious lawn chair (it was moi by the way) maybe we can start a revolution in backyards from coast to coast, country to country!! nothing like buckets of fibre to make one happy!

  4. thank you angella. It was ingenious-it could make you millions($$) in todays market! HAHA. It's one of those things that make you say "why didn't I think of that?" I sure was happy when I got through.