It all started with an innocent shopping trip to my local K-Mart to get a birthday present for my granddaughter, Sophie. After finding a couple cute outfits for her, and looking at all the Barbie's, I took a stroll down the sale aisle. Well, there they were, a bunch of boxes of Easter egg dye on sale for 19 cents a box. Insanity took hold and I grabbed them all. Eighty boxes! I apologized several times to the checkout lady who had to scan and punch in numbers for each one separately. I did tell her, and several people around me, that it was all for dying wool. What else? Certainly not eggs.
Saturday, April 6, 2013
Yup, I got another wheel. I saw an ad on Craigslist for a wheel for 40 bucks in a town not far from me. I had to check it out. It was love at first sight. She doesn't appear to be very old, and seems to be handmade. I had to make a new drive band and attach the footman with a leather lace. Cleaned and oiled really well and started spinning. She spins just great. She's double drive which can be a little tricky-but she goes really fast and smooth. So the total now is 4 wheels. I think I'll be needing spinning wheels anonymous pretty soon.
Sunday, March 31, 2013
Happy Easter! As usual, I spent a little time with the dyepot this weekend. I first colored a few eggs, and then filled my jars with wool. I used 4 tablets of color for each jar, water, vinegar and about an ounce of wool in each. I boiled it all for about 45 minutes and then just let them sit to cool. I got some super bright colors to ply with. Then, of course, I had to use the fluff to do a little Easter decorating.
Thursday, March 28, 2013
I've been spinning, spinning, spinning, but not your regular old skeins of yarn. I have a pile of glitzy, textured, colorful strands of soon to be necklaces. I made several different wild rolags with my new blending board and found that they spin into some interesting yarns. I decided to ply the yarn back onto itself and really liked the look. I hope they will make really cool necklaces. I still need to finish the ends and add some wire clasps and closures. Making these is very addictive-so I hope to have plenty and maybe sell some when I'm done.