Thursday, May 24, 2012

Power Outage



What to do when the power goes out for 2 hours?  Hmmmm?  How about a little experiment with the home made hackle?  I lashed on some pretty colors of roving, some sparkle, and got out a metal washer to use as a diz.  This was my first attempt at dizzing roving off a hackle.  I found that the "pass" from right to left went well. The left to right not so much on the first try.  But I gave it another whirl, and it worked out pretty well.  I spun up my little rovings into a thick and thin single, and then plied it with some funky textured pink I had on another bobbin.  It's only about 10 yards, but it's very pretty-the picture doesn't do it justice.  It was a nice way to spend 2 hours without power.

5 comments:

  1. Pretty pretty! We should all take some time without electricity, I think we'd get so much more fun stuff done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!
    I need to get my hackle back out. I haven't used it in ages.
    Yes, a perfect way to spend a power outage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get your hackle on...thats the ticket.


    With All That I Am
    CArrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny when the power goes out... you really understand how much you use it. Great job on finding something fun and productive to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That roving is beautiful. I enjoy the process of "hackling" fiber. My favorite is combing and then spinning right off the combs. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

  I entered an essay contest to win a 170th anniversary Singer sewing machine. It was to celebrate the 12,000 subcribers to a YouTube channe...