Saturday, January 28, 2012

Whopper size needles


I was wanting to do I-cord with big bulky yarn-and didn't have a big pair of double pointed needles to use-never saw anything as big as I wanted for sale anywhere-soooo.... I had this old broom handle and figured I tool wood carving classes a long time ago-still have all the tools. I cut two pieces about 12 inches long and proceeded to Whittle the ends to a sharp point. All in all, I do believe they came out pretty good-one is a little longer than the other. I made 1 I-cord so far-it was from a very unbalanced yarn-but the needles worked just great. I'm trying to find something I could put on one of the ends so I could just use them as regular needles to make a scarf. I still have some of the broom handle left-I may just make a separate pair for that. We shall see......

7 comments:

  1. And should a vampire sneak up on you while you're knitting ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are SOME needles, and love the story how you made them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THAT is resourceful!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! Just had to do something similar myself and was trying to decide if I wanted to make a set of circulars too or buy some...I've seen them made with surgical tubing, but I think I would just use an extra cable from my knitpicks, tubing seems like it would grab at the yarn. I love stopping by, you always have great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wooe junbo needles....I just got some wood discs about 1 1/4 in. in diameter at hobby lobby. I would just wood glue them to the end of your new large needles, or even add a small finishing nail to hold them together.. Barbara from Ravelry

    ReplyDelete

  I entered an essay contest to win a 170th anniversary Singer sewing machine. It was to celebrate the 12,000 subcribers to a YouTube channe...