Thursday, June 9, 2011

On the Bobbin




Well, I did some spinning for a change. I spun up that basket of alpaca that I painted with Easter egg dye on Sarah, my Ashford Traddy. It was a really nice spin-very soft. Now I just need to decide how to ply it.
I also broke out the home-made Navajo style spindle I made several years back. My first attempt at spinning was with a drop spindle. I just couldn't get the hang of it. I read a book about Navajo spindles, and it gave directions for making one. I didn't have any skills at using a saw to cut the whorl so I improvised with a metal spool that holds wire that I dug out of the garbage at work. I also used a shrink wrap plastic from work garbage to place the whorl on the dowel. Painting the whorl before putting it on the dowel would have been easier-but I wrapped the dowel in Saran wrap then spray painted the metal blue. I carved both ends of the dowel to a rounded point and sanded them smooth. It spins like a dream. I forgot how much I loved it.

4 comments:

  1. I've toyed with the idea of purchasing a Navajo Spindle but you have inspired me yet again...to maybe make my own. Love it.

    Your Alpaca single is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, I love upcycled/repurposed items! Your bobbin is so pretty, that will make a gorgeous yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always meant to tell you how much I love that photo on the top of your blog. It's like a little treasure chest :-)

    Pretty yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your spinning is gorgeous. I failed at my first attempts with a drop spindle, but now that I've gotten better at drafting for my Kromski Minstrel wheel, I'm thinking about giving the spindle another try. I am impressed that you did such a great job improvising yours, too.

    ReplyDelete

  I entered an essay contest to win a 170th anniversary Singer sewing machine. It was to celebrate the 12,000 subcribers to a YouTube channe...