Friday, April 22, 2011

Weaving Fun



Who knew? Since I got my loom I've been having a lot of fun making stuff. I really never thought much about having a loom before now, but I can't imagine ever not having one in the future. I joined a Saori weaving group on Ravelry and got in on a Weave-a-long to make a banner. It's about 18 inches wide by 8 feet long. I had a theme in mind as I was weaving-Wisconsin's Springtime (I think that's a fantasy right now.) I tried to incorporate all the feelings of the weather, and the greening of the grass, and there's even a robin in there. I also tried to create an image of a tornado, cuz unfortunately we have those in the spring, too. At the end of May the group will be sending our banners to one person, and she will divide them up and swap them with other members. It will be fun to see what we all get.
One other thing I decided to try is a rag rug. I wasn't sure how to go about doing it at all. I was able to glean bits of information off the internet-but there really isn't much detail on how to weave rugs. Well, I gave it a try and am pretty happy with the result. For my first try its pretty straight, and colorful. It measures 26"x39". I have a LOT more warp on the loom to make a couple more, and loads and loads of fabric to cut into strips. I can see though, that if I want to make a career out of making rugs I have to get a heavier loom. Mine worked okay, but it kept "traveling" while beating the weft in place. Sooooo, if anyone out there hears of a good heavy duty rug loom that needs a good home, let me know (now remember, I'm what you'd call frugal-okay, okay-cheap) It needs to be a good deal-like maybe free! And of course there's that problem of where to put it-I'll work out those details later.

7 comments:

  1. Great looking rug! Rugs are by far my favoite thing to make.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, all those spring colors, so pretty! Hope you get something equally fantastic in the swap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the rug and the Saori weaving. You know that you have inspired a couple of us to check out that technique. I love the idea of the banner swap. Oh, I love swaps in general but just think of all the techniques and fiber ideas you will get when you get your swapped gift.

    Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wisconsin spring is snow and mosquitoes :D Love the new weaving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your weavings. :-)

    I see looms on the Ravelry used equipment group every now and then.
    http://www.ravelry.com/groups/used-tools--equipment-classifieds

    ReplyDelete

  I entered an essay contest to win a 170th anniversary Singer sewing machine. It was to celebrate the 12,000 subcribers to a YouTube channe...