Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gift of Thanks


So, this morning as I was playing around with my new sewing machine, making tons of little quilted squares to sew into little gift boxes, I took notice of a copy of a picture I had thrown in my garbage a few days earlier. Now, this was a poor quality copy of an old photo of my mother when she was young that I discarded from another project I was working on last week. Something about the picture made me want to take it out and try a little quilted frame around it and jazz it up a bit. I began sewing, add ing lace and bits and pieces of scrap fabric. one little scrap was a little print of music notes, and since my mom loved music I figured it would be perfect for the piece. It was upside down when I stitched it in place, so when I turned it over to admire my work I got a huge jolt when I noticed that the letters on that little scrap are my mom's initials- m p -for Myrtle Pecor--At that very moment I felt her presence (she's been gone for many years now.) I cried a bit because I miss her so. She loved Thanksgiving, with all the wonderful baking and setting of a beautiful tablewhere we all could gather and enjoy our family.

Today I am thankful to my mother and this wonderous gift of her memory, and all the memories of Thanksgivings past. Thanks, Mom, I love you and miss you.


Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving - a lovely fabric tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite touched by this myself, it's nice when we receive these lovely little gift moments. The project you created is a wonderful treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute and a lovely experiment gone right. Many hugs to you, the holidays are tough when we miss a loved one. Your creation is a true treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moments to cherish are the greatest gifts. Thank you for sharing, Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful frame! My mom passed away when I was 15; I get my crafty-ness from her. I should really make a frame like this for one of her photos! Do you just make a fabric back to it and slide the photo inside, or do you glue it to the front of a regular frame? I'm not sure how to put it all together. :)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks to all-sorry if I don't comment on your blogs-I'm having problems commenting for some reason-technology is not my friend

    ReplyDelete

  I entered an essay contest to win a 170th anniversary Singer sewing machine. It was to celebrate the 12,000 subcribers to a YouTube channe...