Wow-I spent an awful lot of time washing, rinsing, and drying wool this past weekend-but boy was it worth it. Luckily it cleaned up really well, and drying was pretty quick on the lawn chair. I got that idea from someone else that contributes to the Fiber Art Fridays group-(I'm sorry I don't remember who it was). But, it worked great-especially when the rain came half way through the project. I was able to drag the whole works into the house through the patio door in one fell swoop, and then back out on the deck again the next morning. So now I have two big bins full of wonderful wool. I dyed some pink with tropical punch Kool Aid. I tried blue with easter egg dye-it didn't take so I added green and got a pale shade of green. I then used some berry blue Kool Aid and that worked for a pastel shade of blue.
I found a you tube video of someone using a home made hackle for combing the wool. They used plastic hair picks drilled to a piece of wood. Well, I didn't attatch them to anything, but I used that idea to comb some of the VM out of my wool--it works pretty good. Just using two and combing back and forth between them really pulled out a lot of dirt--I still have to pick out some-but it moved things along much better. The first project I hope to get done are the baby hats I need to make for "payment" for the wool. My knitting isn't the greatest-but I'll give it my best.